Friday, March 29, 2013

The Path is closed for runners.

As my business trips to Helsinki happen pretty much anytime during the year, I am "forced" to keep my training going as much as possible. I have embraced running and I have embraced kettlebell. I have embraced anything that helps keep my endurance.

Living in California though I  have gotten used to sports outdoors, it is just the way it is because of the location, sunshine for good or bad. With this tendency to enjoy the outdoors  and my intent to embrace the fading winter in Helsinki during March - I was set  to go on a run at -14C to my favorite Park in Helsinki. Central Park.

Little did I know I would be apparently breaking the rules as the main trails were reserved for skiers only. Skiers of course knew this, I was met with blazing looks of all kinds, one lady hit me with her skiing pole, another one yelled at me something in Finnish (Thanks God I don't think Finnish I guess) . Blame it on all the running bliss, I smiled and kept on running. When we are so focused on one task , we are blind to everything else and we are blind to our own blindness it seems.

Finally a kind soul, advised me that those trails were not for runners and that skiers would be very angry, imagine angry birds, with me shall I continue to invade their territory.It was like declaring war. He advised me to go on the "other" trails which, turns out,  I could not easily find and which would end up enlarging the distance too much. Mind you I was at 3.5 hours  on my run out of fuel and water . I wisely declared end of my run.(and end of war too)

Isn't there another way to communicate your opinion dear Park visitors? I know you are local, and I am not, I know it is your country, I know I look quite different.... But blazing looks and skiing poles are not the best way , are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment