Sunday, September 14, 2014

Cheryl Strayed on her mom....


One of her  passages from "Wild"

“I was her daughter, but more. I was Karen, Cheryl, Leif. Karen Cheryl Leif. KarenCherylLeif. Our names blurred into one in my mother’s mouth all my life. She whispered it and hollered it, hissed it and crooned it. We were her kids, her comrades, the end of her and the beginning. We took turns riding shotgun with her in the car. “Do I love you this much?” she’d ask us, holding her hands six inches apart. “No,” we’d say, with sly smiles. “Do I love you this much?” she’d ask again, and on and on and on, each time moving her hands farther apart. But she would never get there, no matter how wide she stretched her arms. The amount that she loved us was beyond her reach. It could not be quantified or contained. It was the ten thousand named things in the Tao Te Ching’s universe and then ten thousand more. Her love was full-throated and all-encompassing and unadorned. Every day she blew through her entire reserve.”  

And then it got me thinking more about what 'people' (I mean me) , when people are loved so much - even if you are not fully aware at the beginning , even if you think that your parents are uncool.... eventually one realizes how really a parent's love can not to be quantified. Then, the question is what are you supposed to do with your self so full of love......other than give it to others? Even if that parent dies, that love is still in you and the question remains. What are you going to do?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment